Top Candidate For White House Press Secretary Removes Herself From Consideration

The race to replace White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt took another turn after one of the leading names publicly ruled herself out. Alina Habba said Wednesday that she is “not in the running for any job,” despite bettors on Kalshi briefly placing her at the top of the field.

Leavitt, 28, announced earlier this month that she will leave the White House at the end of August to spend more time with her two young children. President Donald Trump has not named her successor, leaving Washington’s rumor mill to fill the gap.

Habba served as Trump’s personal attorney and became one of his most visible defenders during the 2024 campaign. She later served as counselor to the president, interim U.S. attorney for the District of New Jersey and now works as senior adviser to the attorney general for U.S. attorneys.

Kalshi bettors initially gave Habba a 35 percent chance of becoming Leavitt’s replacement. But she quickly shut down the speculation in a post on X.

“Flattered by the Kalshi odds, but I'm not in the running for any job,” Habba wrote. “However, if I'm getting a new one, I'd love for one of these anonymous sources to let me know first.”

“Fake news remains the undefeated champ…well…until I come at them,” Habba added. Her denial prompted an immediate shift in the prediction market.

By late Wednesday, Kalshi traders put Scott Jennings in front with a 37 percent chance of becoming the next press secretary. Anna Kelly, the White House principal deputy press secretary, followed at 24 percent, while Habba’s odds fell to 8.3 percent.

Jennings, a former aide to President George W. Bush and a current CNN conservative commentator, was reportedly considered for the job after Trump’s 2024 victory. Trump has praised Jennings as a “patriot” who “gets it,” fueling speculation that he could be a serious candidate.

Kelly remains another logical contender because of her existing role inside the White House press operation. But the administration has downplayed public speculation, and no confirmed shortlist or timeline has been released.

Former White House press secretary Sean Spicer said the person selected will likely be someone who already has a strong relationship with Trump. With Leavitt’s departure days away, the president’s choice will face the challenge of defending the administration’s record and carrying its message into a critical midterm season.

Comments

comments