'What Are You Running From?': ESPN Host Hammers Gavin Newsom Over California 'Atrocity'

ESPN host Stephen A. Smith called out California Governor Gavin Newsom on his "Straight Shooter" podcast Wednesday, demanding the governor answer for the "atrocities" facing his state. Smith expressed frustration that Newsom continues to "run from" an appearance on the show despite multiple invitations to discuss homelessness, crime, and the state's massive debt. The host noted that while Newsom is busy unveiling "different accents" on other podcasts, he is avoiding a real conversation about California's sanctuary status and "billions in debt."

The critique comes as new polling shows former Vice President Kamala Harris leading the 2028 Democratic primary field with 31%, while Newsom trails at 22%. Smith argued that Harris's lead is an "indictment against the party," claiming that no other leader has "stepped up and stood out" to challenge her. "Gavin Newsom, 22%. Still waiting for you to come on the show, Mr. Governor," Smith said during his Wednesday broadcast.

Smith’s comments were bolstered by a recent viral interview where former President Barack Obama slammed the homelessness crisis in Los Angeles as an "atrocity." Obama told YouTuber Brian Tyler Cohen on Saturday that the average person should not have to "navigate around a tent city" in a country this wealthy. He described the current permissive approach as a "losing political strategy" that lacks the necessary accountability for those living on the streets.

"I simply want you to answer for your state about the homelessness that Obama just alluded to, which he labeled an embarrassment," Smith said. The host insisted his show would not be a "gotcha" moment but rather a platform for Newsom to defend his record before the 2028 election cycle begins in earnest. Smith previously eviscerated Newsom in late January for criticizing President Trump while at the World Economic Forum in Switzerland, telling him to keep his "kneepads" at home.

A representative for Governor Newsom responded to the challenge by claiming the governor is "not ducking anybody." The spokesperson noted that Newsom has "crushed" debates with Sean Hannity and Ron DeSantis and is simply "busier than Stephen apparently is." However, the statement confirmed that the governor’s team is still "planning to do his show" at an unspecified future date.

Critics like James Woods have warned that Newsom's presidential appeal will not survive a national spotlight on California's "atrocious" failures. As the state faces a multi-billion dollar deficit and rising public safety concerns, the pressure is mounting for Newsom to move beyond "satirical" media appearances. For Smith, the invitation remains open, but the patience is clearly wearing thin for what he calls a "disgraceful" lack of transparency.