Daily Patriot Report

Major Restaurant Chain Steps Down After $700 Million 'Woke' Disaster

cracker barrel restaurant ceo stepping down

Cracker Barrel is changing CEOs after a turbulent stretch that included a failed rebrand and weak sales. Julie Masino will step down on Aug. 10 and be replaced by David Deno, while staying on as an adviser through Oct. 9.

Cracker Barrel announced on Monday that CEO Julie Masino will step down, effective Aug. 10, and be replaced by David Deno. Masino will remain with the company in an advisory capacity until Oct. 9.

“Following a robust and thoughtful search process, we are pleased to welcome David as Cracker Barrel's next CEO,” independent Chairman Carl Berquist said in a statement. He said Deno brings decades of experience in restaurants and retail, along with a strong track record in growth, operations and guest experience.

“We are confident David is the right leader to continue building on the Cracker Barrel legacy, drive further positive momentum operationally and financially, and create sustainable value for our shareholders,” Berquist said. He also thanked Masino for her leadership and for helping ensure a smooth transition.

Deno said Cracker Barrel is a “truly iconic American brand,” with a mix of country hospitality and broad customer appeal. He said he looks forward to “unlocking the full potential of this remarkable brand” through better food, stronger guest experiences and profitable growth.

Masino’s exit comes after the company’s rebrand triggered a backlash last summer. That effort included removing the “old timer” from the logo and altering restaurant interiors that had long featured a country-store look.

The overhaul was part of a $700 million effort across the company’s 660-plus restaurants. It also included a revamped menu and decluttered dining rooms, but the company reversed course less than a week after the backlash began.

Masino later said the company had missed the mark. She said the changes were meant to improve the guest experience, but the response showed there was more work to do.

Cracker Barrel’s recent results have still been under pressure. The company reported earnings below expectations in December, and its March 2026 earnings release showed lower revenue and profits from a year earlier, even though it beat Wall Street estimates.

The company has also moved to cut debt and improve profits. Last week, it sold its Maple Street Biscuit Company business, closed 16 Maple Street restaurants and completed a sale-leaseback deal involving 26 company-owned locations.

Cracker Barrel’s stock is still down a bit more than 20% from a year ago, though it has climbed about 89% since the start of the year. Shares were down around 5.6% late Monday morning.

Comments

comments

Exit mobile version